Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Weekend Warrior

For my first real weekend in Pune, I decided to get out of Pune. The city is surrounded by this gorgeous mountain range called the Western Ghats that a lot of people go to and get away from the grime and the grind of city life.

Saturday I went with a couple of friends from the program to Sinhagad Fort, which is a 1-2 hour hike up a mountain. We took a bus, making it our first hectic, confusing experience with the Pune bus system. Once we actually found the right bus (we couldn't actually make out where the buses are labelled), we got on and it was clear that it doesn't get ridden by many white people since we got more stares than usual. Despite all of that it was super fun. I spent half of the ride hanging on for dear life by the open door. Anywayyys Sinhagad Fort was super cool. It rained a lot (surprise, surprise), but it was a gorgeous trek! The very top was foggy so we couldn't see the overlook from there, but there were plenty of other points that we could see fantastic views!


Eerily mist fort ruins

FIRST MONKEY SIGHTING! 


Sunday a some people from my program went on a waterfall repelling trip with a group of students from Fergusson College who are in this outdoorsy club. It was a lot of standing around waiting, but the breath taking scenery and adrenaline from the actual repelling made it all soooo worth it! 

The waterfall! 

It went from terrifying to exhilarating right around here (photo cred: Arpita Aneja)
 All the way up top! (photo cred: Arpita)
 Success!! (photo cred: Arpita)
The most peaceful hill/valley ever

On another note, today my host dad asked about my day and I said "normal" for the first time. Adjustment yayy! 

1 comment:

  1. Grace - you are so brave! I'm glad you are having fun! I am enjoying your posts! Love Aunt Mimi

    ReplyDelete