Saturday, October 27, 2012

Talk is Free Darling

One of Goa's main features are its vendors.While this seems fantastic for any tourist, the jewelry was relatively expensive and of poor quality. One women even vocally advertised her "expensive rubbish."

One type of vendors are the stalls strategically set up outside of restaurants and guest houses to pull in customers looking for some India-y clothes and jewelry.

And then there are the women this post is dedicated to, the ones who roam the beach with big baskets of merchandise balanced on their heads. They know English among other languages really well in order because of the foreign tourists.

Their main strategy is to get close to a potential customer through a conversation. Because it is off season, these ladies are aggressive, both in their prices and their marketing strategy.

"Hello, darling. You look nice. Would be nicer with one of my necklaces."
"Don't walk away, my poor little heart could not take it."
"Remember me, darling. Remember me and my nice things."
"Why you don't talk? Talk is free darling."

The first large group of these ladies (a swarm) was nice, chatty and actually hilarious.
"You are so nice and white. Like a white chicken. Not me, I am brown chicken." (this is my favorite)
"Don't worry darling, I will protect you from the dirty men."
"You're gaurjus (gorgeous), darling. So lovely."



The second group I ran into, however, was much more intent on getting me to buy thing. They had surrounded my friend and I unsuspectingly went over to say hello to her and before you know it I was sat down and draped in merchandise.

Note the man standing on his head for sunset mediation in the background  (Jen's photo, obviously)

I knew that this would happen when I left for the walk this happened during and decided not to bring any money along. I didn't even have that much anyways since it was at the end of the trip. This did not seem to phase the vendors. They kept saying that they would follow me to my hotel and I could pay them back. Not sketch at all...

I eventually decided that I did not want to buy anything and was just too overwhelmed by the swarm of women surrounding me. So I tried to get up and leave.

They didn't really like this.

One thing led to another and I ended up running down the sunset covered beach to escape the "mosquitoes."

As I looked behind they were in stead pursuit and I suddenly though of a horror movie where the killer seemed to never tire.

They even followed me to the restaurant I went to! Exhausted of this dance, I finally bought something from each of the women and gave up.

 The loot

After all, I guess they have to make their livelihood some way. Even if it's chasing ginger girls down the beach. 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice blog, thanks for your generous info. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this subject has to do with your profesыional sphere or is it more about your hobbies and ways to spend your free time?

    ReplyDelete